Pennsylvania State Police are teaming up with five other states to crack down on distracted driving.
It's called the six state trooper project, and a big focus is to cut down on the number of people texting behind the wheel.
Police are going to be out in full force until June 22 looking for signs that you aren't focusing while behind the wheel.
“Distracted driving not only includes texting while driving, but other violations that go along with distracted driving,” explained Trooper Adam Reed. “Some of these violations include speeding, tailgating, and unsafe lane changes.”
The state trooper project includes police from Ohio, Michigan, Kentucky, West Virginia, and Indiana, as well as Pennsylvania.
All six states will combine their resources to find the most effective ways to stop distracted driving.
Some people took a swing against breast cancer in Dauphin County.
The PA Breast Cancer Coalition kicked off its "Home Run Derby" season on City Island Tuesday.
People and teams raised money to participate at various ballparks across Pennsylvania.
They earn points depending on where on the field they hit the baseball.
"It's a way for individuals to come out and do something that's not your average walk, it's not a run, it's something they can be out and have a to chance to hit a couple of balls on a minor league park," explained Jennifer Pensigner of the PA Breast Cancer Coalition.
The home run derbies continue through July. That's when a statewide single winner will be named.
A project started by the Federal Communications Commission to help low-income people get free cell phones is under fire Tuesday night.
An investigation revealed when you pay your cell phone bill each month, you're indirectly helping others buy drugs.
An undercover actor went into one of the free phone locations, part of a 2.2 billion dollar FCC program that charges most cell phone users a small fee every month on their bill to pay for the program.
It's all part of a secret investigation by conservative activist James O’Keefe, whose previous videos resulted in the community group ACORN getting their funding taken away.
"Those employees who are funded by your dollars were advising us that we can sell phones to buy drugs, sell phones to buy Louis Vuitton handbags? This is another example of your dollars being wasted all in the name of good intentions."
The phones are supposed to help low income people find jobs, keep in touch with family and call for help in an emergency.
Consider this, after the Obama administration decided last week to send small arms to Syrian rebels, U.S. oil prices rose to levels not seen since last September, climbing to more than $98 dollars a barrel.
"Up until a hundred dollars, I think we can sort of take it in stride. Once you get beyond a hundred dollars then everyone begins to notice and then that begins to change the way people behave." Said George Georgiou an Economics Professor at Towson University. He says America imports are but a drop of oil in a bucket from Syria.
The real issue for Americans, if the Syrian conflict becomes regional, spilling into neighboring countries, such as Saudia Arabia, Jordan, and Turkey, a price spike in global oil, according to analysts, will become a given. "Eventually it will go through the system and it will show up in supermarkets and at the gas pump." Georgiou said.
Georgiou says big jumps in gas prices, will mean price increases for you. "Think you are paying a lot for fresh vegetables and fruit now? Farmers are so heavily dependent on oil for production and transportation that means big jumps at the pump will show up on dining room tables."
A Pew Research Survey finds 70% of Americans are opposed to arming Syrian rebels. "Hopefully we will be a little bit more cautious with how involved we get." Georgiou said.
President Obama's policy is not clear cut and it took more than two years to formulate. He wants Syrian President Bashar Al-assad out, but Obama refuses to fortify rebels with heavy artillery or to create a no fly-zone around Syria.
"What's happening in syria right now could easily spread and if it spreads, then we are in danger of disruptions and significant price increases." Georgiou said.
New legislation will help align funding for the 911 system now and in the future, Pennsylvania Emergency Management Director Glenn Cannon said Tuesday in a press release. Governor Tom Corbett signed House Bill 583 into law on May 21.
In the past, the 911 funding system depended largely on landline customers, but more people are abandoning landlines for other forms of communication.
As a result, county requests for 911 funding exceeded the total amount of funds available.
This legislation provides a one-year transition period to bring the disbursement of state funding into line with available revenue.
Sponsored by the Chairman of the House Veterans Affairs & Emergency Preparedness Committee Rep. Stephen Barrar (R-Chester), the legislation had overwhelming bi-partisan support, passing the House unanimously and with only one dissenting vote in the Senate.
“This is Harrisburg at its best,” Cannon said. “Here we had both parties working together to ensure help is only a phone call away for every Pennsylvanian.”
A recent Legislative Budget and Finance Committee report said that while Pennsylvania’s 911 program has been a success story for years, it faced a crisis that threatened its viability and sustainability.
“911 is the backbone of the entire emergency response system in the commonwealth,” Cannon said. “Simply put, a functionally bankrupt 911 wireless fund likely would have jeopardized public safety throughout the commonwealth.”
The bill also fosters cost saving opportunities for counties by giving the Pennsylvania Emergency Management Agency the ability to facilitate joint purchasing and regionalization of 911 centers.
On Tuesday, Governor Tom Corbett signed House Bill 492, amending the Crime Victims Act to allow victims or their representatives to testify in person before the state Parole Board before it decides whether to release an offender from prison.
Under Pennsylvania law, persons convicted of a crime who have served their minimum prison sentence may apply for parole every year.
This law allows victims, or their representatives, to testify before the state parole board, either in person or through electronic means, before the decision is made to release the inmate from prison. In the past, a victim could submit a written statement or speak to staff members who would submit a summary of the victim’s comments.
Carlisle Police are searching for a man who chased two women down the street naked.
Police say the incident happened on Tuesday morning, shortly after midnight. Two women, ages 21, were walking North on South Hanover Street on their way home from Walmart when the male started chasing them.
The man is described as a white male, over the age of 50, with a full white beard.
Police say the woman eluded the man and were able to call police. Officers searched the area and did not find the man.
Anyone with information is asked to call the Carlisle Police Department at (717) 243-5252.
LANCASTER, Pa. (AP) — The widow of an inmate who committed suicide at Lancaster County Prison in 2011 is suing the prison and its medical services provider.
Fifty-year-old John Kruger jumped from a second-floor railing and struck his head on the floor in March 2011. The Intelligencer Journal/Lancaster New Era reports (http://bit.ly/12SAZvn ) his widow, Debra Kruger, has filed two lawsuits alleging that the county and a counselor ignored Kruger's suicidal behavior and medical needs.
She alleges staff ignored information provided by the family about his mental illness.
County attorney David MacMain says the county did all that can reasonably be expected to prevent a suicide. He says the suicide was unexpected by prison staff and other inmates.
Lancaster County District Attorney Craig Stedman cleared the prison in Kruger's death.
Information from: Intelligencer Journal/Lancaster New Era , http://lancasteronline.com
According to a notice on Ephrata Community Hospital's website, some patient records were viewed by a former employee who was not authorized to do so.
The notice April 16, the hospital learned that an employee had accessed patient medical records but it was outside of the employee's job duties. According to the hospital the employee did not access any Social Security numbers or other financial information. The employee was terminated after the investigation, according to the notice.
The notice also says a letter was sent out to patients regarding the issue on June 14th. There is also a call center for patients to call with questions. If you believe you were affected but have not received a letter by July 1st, the hospital is asking you to call 1-888-414-8021. The call center is open Monday through Friday between 9 a.m. and 7 p.m. If you call the call center, you will be asked for this 10-digit reference code- 8934061413.